Wednesday, September 16, 2009

guatemala...my second home

on saturday, i returned from a week long medical mission trip in the jungle of guatemala. it was one of the most amazing times of my life, and i learned more about myself, my mom, being a nurse, being content, loving people, being humble, having strength, and humans in general than i ever have at one time.

i got to assist in a surgery, run across a rope bridge, eat a raw cocoa bean, help recover 70 patients from surgery, see the biggest tree in the world, learn parts of another language, eat legit authentic guatemalan food, eat "abodabo" on top of a building, eat a raw coffee bean, ride an old school bus across the country, drink hibiscus juice, play with the sweetest kids, explore an amazing little village...the list goes on.

today was my first day back to work after this life changing experience, and i have to say that i am in a period of intense culture shock. i wish i could implement the oh so simple but efficient way we cared for the patients at the clinic at my job here. instead, i have to spend about 6 hours of my day charting (but that is beside the point).

i have so much to be thankful for and am so blessed that i got to be a part of this trip. i have so many stories and memories that will hold me over for a long time. for now, i take great joy in knowing that as long as i live and can afford it, i will return to that place every september and spend more time with those people who have made the greatest impact on me.







No comments:

Post a Comment